Liberty Center One is a regional IT delivery solutions company focused on data protection and high availability environments. Liberty operates three hardened data centers in Royal Oak, MI, Cincinnati, OH and Carrollton, TX, providing colocation solutions, pubic and private cloud environments, disaster recovery resources and remote desktops as a service.
We strive to help our customers achieve their business goals and to ensure that their data and applications are safe, secure and available.
Customer service is critical to our success. We work collaboratively with our customers to help design engagements that deliver exactly what they need. Our knowledgeable engineering staff has taken heroic measures to assist customers such as restoring databases and an entire computing infrastructure of a municipality as a result of a ransomware attack, making a 100TB storage array available within 24 hours to help a customer with an oversubscribed SAN and migrating a cloud environment between regions to improve latency at the edge.
How it all began
Our humble origins date back to 2007 when we transformed an abandoned “old technology” light manufacturing facility into a new, technologically advanced data center, providing new services and employment to support the new economy in South-Eastern Michigan.
- US Signal and AT&T complete fiber builds.
- Liberty Center One lights its first 3,700 sq. ft. data room floor on April 1, 2008.
- Liberty initiates build-out of second 4,000 sq. ft data room. Makes structural improvements to accommodate added equipment weight.
- Liberty deploys an EMC Avamar grid to provide off-site data protection for colocation customers.
- Liberty installs utility-grade power monitoring for all individual customer circuits.
- Liberty Center One completes its first SOC2 examination.
- Liberty finishes the first phase of Data Room B build-out and opens space for 80 additional racks.
- Comcast builds their first fiber connection to Liberty Center One.
- Comlink (Everstream) completes ambitious fiber build with three diverse entries at Liberty Center One.
- Level (3) completes fiber build to Liberty Center One.
- Liberty completes phase 2 of the Data Room B build-out, adding two new Eaton UPS, switchgear, PDUs, transfer switch, and structural improvements resulting in active space for over 300 racks.
- XO Communications (Verizon) lights dark fiber connection to Liberty Center One.
- Liberty installs its third 750 kW Kohler generator.
- Liberty upgrades network infrastructure to a mesh of edge and core Juniper routers with 10g ISP links on a 40g network backbone.
- Liberty acquires Cincinnati-based Zimcom, a data protection, and availability cloud provider.
- One Cloud Services integrates cloud platforms between Detroit, Cincinnati and Dallas data centers.
- New cloud automation platform based on OpenStack launched in the Detroit data center.
- Upgraded one of Liberty’s four UPS to a new Eaton 9760 with zero downtime.
- One Cloud Services extends OpenStack platform to Cincinnati and Dallas data centers.
- Liberty deploys Noction’s Intelligent Routing Platform.
- Introduced all-flash storage for production cloud engagements.
- Carrier services expanded to include Cogent, 123.net and Crown Castle.
- Introduction of All-Flash Capacity Storage for Disaster Recovery plans.
- Upgraded original Liebert System 3 Computer Room Air Conditioners to all new Liberty DSEs.
- Implemented Advanced DDoS protection in partnership with AT&T.
- Upgraded all switch gear and generator controls to next generation OS.
- Expanded carrier services to include Verizon and WOW.
- Acquired Enterprise Hosting in Atlanta, GA.
Founder and CEO
Founder and CEO
Rex, working with Tim Mullahy and others, founded Liberty Center One in 2007. They acquired a building and built out what remains today a State of the Art Data Center. Rex has a broad background in technology and training having implemented a number of large programs for the automotive industry using technology solutions: focusing on Product and Customer Service Education.
Rex earned his B.A. in Social Science and Master’s degree in Adult Learning at Michigan State University. He has excelled at helping customers find the right solution for their issues and them making sure that the solution is implemented well.
Director of Network Operations
Director of Network Operations
Brian started with Zimcom in 2008 as a network engineer and now manages and oversees all data center operations for the company. In addition to keeping our datacenter infrastructure in tip-top shape, Brian has a broad background in IT and a vast technical skillset that allows him to find and create solutions to complex issues that have proven invaluable to our clients.
Jason is responsible for the Cincinnati operations of the company including business development, sales, and marketing. Since joining the company in 2001, Jason has managed to have a hand on nearly all aspects of the company, from overseeing support operations to finding and maintaining happy clients, to strategic planning and budgeting for future growth. Away from the office, Jason is an active volunteer in the community serving on the Board of Directors for both the local Chamber of Commerce (including a term as past President) and the Southwest Ohio JDRF chapter.
With over 18 years of experience in the industry, Steve started at a young age as a talented network engineer in the telecom industry. Today, Steve can be found overseeing all network and infrastructure operations for Liberty Center One and One Cloud Services, as well as driving new product development and key strategic initiatives. Or you might see him one summer evening flying his hot air balloon over the Cincinnati metro. Steve has been a featured speaker at various technology seminars and events and has played a key role as a technology adviser for numerous clients through the years.
Business Development Manager
Business Development Manager
A passionate problem-solver, Vince is skilled in uncovering client needs and crafting effective solutions. Described as an inspirational business leader, he has over 35 years experience across multiple industries and sectors. Vince has consulted with an extensive roster of middle-market and Fortune 1000 clients including Ford Motor Company, General Motors, Digital Equipment Corp, IBM, Bank One, Dell Financial Services and John Hancock. A Michigan native, Vince received his BBA in Finance and Accounting from Western Michigan University.
Ed has a track record of developing and leading large technical teams and driving initiatives to successful completion. Extensive experience in defining technology direction, developing road maps, and promoting best practices. Design and implementation of various cloud platforms (open stack, Azure, AWS, cloud stack) and software-defined networking. Ed has production technology experience with multi-billion-dollar companies such as Munder Capital, General Dynamics, and IBM. He is highly certified in several technology disciplines that support Liberty such as Cloud Architectures, Storage Solutions, Web Apps, and multiple Microsoft certificates. His commitment and drive come from his loyal service to his country in the United States Air Force.
Tim manages the operations of Liberty Center One and One Cloud Services, a leading regional provider of IT Solutions focused on the needs of enterprises looking for high availability infrastructure and services. Tim has a demonstrated history of success in the information technology and services industry. Over 30 years of experience working with some of the world’s largest companies and brands including Allied-Signal, BorgWarner, Chemical Bank, Chevron, Chrysler Corporation, DuPont, Ford, GE Capital IT Solutions, General Motors, Lincoln-Mercury, Raytheon, TeamDetroit, and Visteon. He took his Bachelor of Arts from University of Detroit Mercy.
Data Center & Cloud Services Advisor
Data Center & Cloud Services Advisor
Tim is responsible for Business Development & Account Management for Liberty Center One. He has a passion for fitting the best technology available for a client’s environment. His consultative approach builds strong relationships as he represents both Liberty’s and the client’s needs. Tim’s career experiences have focused on technology from industry-leading companies such as Gartner, EDS, and other Hewlett Packard companies. His ongoing educational achievements have supported his career from Miller Heiman, ValueSelling Associates, and LaSalle University, Bachelor of Science in Marketing.
Data Center Operations Manager
Richard has over 25 years of Data Center / IT experience in a variety of capacities and has been responsible for operations, maintenance, renovation, and relocation of multiple data centers in the Application / Web hosting and Communications industries. Richard has been with Liberty Center One since 2019 as the Operations Manager and works with customers and vendors daily to resolve issues and to accommodate any needs that may arise. He is a graduate of Henry Ford Community College and has obtained several industry-standard certifications: Most recently from the International Data Center Authority: DCES, DCIE, and DCIS.
All Flash-Encrypted Storage Standard
State of the Art Cloud Automation
We are certified and data compliant
Aligned with policies from the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) for enterprise-level data centers, our SSAE 16 facility is certified annually to ensure compliance.
As a trusted IT partner, Liberty Center One understands the importance of internal controls and process management. We design and review our processes and procedures to align with the policies set up by the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA) for enterprise-level data centers.
Plante & Moran, the nation’s 13th largest certified public accounting and business advisory firm, conducts an annual audit on the presence and effectiveness of Liberty’s controls and processes. The standards used for the audit are contained in AICPA’s SSAE 16 — Statement on Standards for Attestation Engagements which replaced SAS 70 in 2010.
The framework of Liberty’s audit is known as a SOC 2 report which focuses on controls related to security, availability, processing integrity, confidentiality, and privacy.
Plante & Moran’s Type II audit verifies that Liberty’s use of its controls is effective in delivering services to our customers. By using an independent audit to conduct a Type II examination, customers are assured that Liberty has both designed controls that are effective, and that these controls are used. Over 150 policy and procedural items are examined, and we obtain evidence to verify that we do what our policies say.
Liberty makes copies of its full auditor’s report available to customers for use in their internal and external compliance programs. Many customers use these reports to demonstrate their compliance to the SSAE16 standards, reducing their costs of conducting their own audits or supplementing their larger compliance and audit initiatives.